Oyako-don is one of the popular donburi menus same as Gyu-don in Japanese cuisine. Donburi is a dish over the rice. “Oyako” means a parent in Japanese and “Don” is an abbreviation of donburi. We use chicken and egg for this dish that’s why this dish is called “Oyako-don”. This is really easy and simple dish. Also, all you need is Chicken, egg and onion (plus, seasonings)! For seasonings, I recommend to use Dashi soup stock rather than using only plain water. Please try it out!!
2 Bowls Japanese rice *cooked
200g Chicken breast
1/2 size Onion
3/4 Cup (150ml) Dashi soup stock
1 Tbsp (15ml) Soy sauce
1 Tbsp (15ml) Mirin
1 Tbsp (15ml) Sake
1/2 Tbsp (7.5ml) Sugar
1. Slice the chicken into bite-size pieces, and cut the onion into wedges.
2. Mix all the seasonings to stir. Pour the mixture in a pan and heat to a boil.
3. Add the chicken and bring to a boil again. Then, add the onions and and let it boil for 4 to 5 minutes.
4. Prepare the beaten egg and pour over the pan.
5. Cover immediately with a lid and turn the heat to low. Steam for 30 seconds and then turn off the heat. Move over the rice.