Have you ever tasted soymilk? I usually buy soymilk at the market but I decided to make from scratch at home. I realized that homemade soymilk has more natural flavor from soybeans. If you need some sweetness, please add various sweeteners (i.e. Honey, Agave syrup, Brown sugar, Coconut sugar etc) and enjoy comparing those flavors. It’s FUN!
1 Cup Soy beans *dried
2 cups water (plus more for soaking and rinsing)
Brown sugar / Syrup
Maple syrup etc.
1. Soak the beans with fresh cold water overnight.
2. Drain the beans and transfer to a large bowl. Add enough water and rub the beans with fingers to remove the skins. Remove the skins from the bowl by mixing the beans around and letting the beans settle to the bottom.
3. Drain the beans again and put them in a blender. Pour 2 cups water and blend together until it becomes smooth.
4. Strain the liquid with using a sieve.
5. Transfer to the pot and simmer the soymilk with low heat for 10 – 15 minutes.
*This is to remove the natural beany taste and smell.
6. When ready, strain the milk into a container. Serve the milk hot or cold.