Osekihan | Festive rice with sweet potato
In this video, I introduce how to make Osekihan with sweet potato (Festive rice with sweet potato). This rice dish is a traditional festive rice dish we usually eat at celebrating situation, like passing the exam, entrance and graduation of school etc. We normally use mochi-gome (glutinous rice) instead of using normal rice. This special rice adds a “mochi-mochi” (sticky) texture that many people love! To add a little bit twist, I added sweet potato for this dish since it’s autumn (when I shoot this video). At the final touch, I recommend to sprinkle black sesame seeds and salt on top! YUM! Please try it out!!!
Ingredients (4 servings):
1/3 cup (about 70ml) Red beans
2 rice-cups (360ml) Mochi-gome *glutinous rice
1/2 Sweet potato *medium size
1/2 cup (100ml) Red bean broth
2 cups (400ml) Water
Black sesame & Salt, to your taste
1. Wash red beans by hand.
*If you have time, soak them in water for a few hours.
2. Put the red beans in a pot, add water enough to cover the beans, and cook over a strong fire.
When boiled, add water and cook for about 5 minutes. Then, drain water.
3. Again put the red beans in a pot, pour plenty of water and cover it. Cook low to medium heat about 20 minutes.
When cooked, separate the beans from the broth.
*Don’t throw away the broth!
4. Wash mochi-gome (glutinous rice) and drain the water. Peel the sweet potato and cut into bite-size pieces.
5. Put mochi-gome, red beans, sweet potato into the rice cooker. Then, pour red bean broth, water and a pinch of salt.
Mix them and cook it with the rice cooker for about 25 – 30 minutes. *You can also use a pot.
6. When cooked, add black sesame seeds on top of the dish to complete.
1. Are you looking for Japanese kitchenwares and cooking tools? Please visit our online store!
2. Would you like to cook many more recipes? Download Free recipe app from here! “Recipe by YJC“