Ingredients (4 rolls):
(A) 2 cup Rice(12 oz) *Japanese/Japonica rice
400ml Water (13.5 fl oz)
3 Tbsp Rice vinegar
2 Tbsp Sugar
1 tsp Salt
4 sheets Nori seaweed
(B) 3 dried shiitake mushrooms
100 ml Soup stock
*mixed with shiitake-soaked water
2 tsp Soy sauce
1 Tbsp Sugar
1/2 Tbsp Sake
1/2 Tbsp Mirin
(C) 2 Egg
1 tsp Sugar
1 pinch Salt
1 tsp Sake
8 Shiso leaves
Sashimi *Tuna or salmon
Tobikko *Frying fish roe
Vegetable oil, as needed
“Te-zu”* *To prevent the rice from sticking to fingers):
(D) 1 cup Water
2 tsp Rice vinegar
1. Prepare the Japanese rice (⇒ How to prepare Japanese rice).
Put the cooked rice in a lightly wet wooden tub (or alternately large bowl),
mix in other ingredients in (A) and mix lightly to make the vinegared rice.
2. Put the dried shiitake mushrooms in a pot and soften by soaking them in water.
Simmer the shiitake in the mixture of (B) to allow it to absorb the seasonings.
When it gets cool down, cut the shiitake into thick strips.
3. Beat the egg and mix other ingredients in (C).
Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan, thinly spread the beaten egg and roll up the thin omelet
by raising the edge first. Cut it as stick sizes.
4. Cut the cucumber, sashimi into bar rectangles.
5. Prepare the Te-zu with mixing the all ingredients in (D).
Place the nori sheet on a maki-su (Bamboo mat).
Put the vinegared rice on the nori and spread it with using fingers.
6. Put all the toppings and roll up the bamboo mat. (Big ingredients to small ingredients.)
7. Cut the roll into bite-size portions.
Wipe the knife with a clean wet cloth after cutting each pieces.