Recipe : Agedashi-dofu (Deep-fried Tofu)
Agedashi-dofu is a side dish consisting of smooth-textured silken tofu coated with potato starch, deep-fried to a nice color, and served hot with dashi based broth. Common toppings include chopped green onions, grated ginger or radish, and shredded shiso leaves.
Ingredients (2 servings):
½ block (150g) Silken tofu
Potato starch, as needed
150ml Dashi *soup stock
2 Tbsp Soy sauce
1½ Tbsp Mirin
2 Tbsp Grated daikon radish
1 tsp Grated ginger
2 leaves Sliced shiso *Japanese basil
1. Cut tofu into half and wrap the tofu with a paper towel. Drain the tofu by placing a plate or other weight on it for 20 minutes.
2. Combine the soup stock, soy sauce and mirin in a pot and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat and keep it aside.
3. Pour the oil into a pan and heat the oil to 170 – 180℃.
4. Lightly coat the tofu with potato starch.
5. Deep fry tofu until it gets light brown color. Drain the oil on a paper towel.
6. Place the tofu in a serving dish. Then, place the toppings and pour the soup from the side of the dish.
For checking Japanese kitchenwares and cooking tools, please visit YJC Store on Amazon!