Recipe : Tuna Sandwich
Like my family, many Japanese households keep canned tuna on hand. Perhaps because of this, people often eat tuna salad with mayonnaise. So this time, I made a simple & healthy tuna salad with homemade tuna (canned style) and Japanese mayonnaise, and made a tuna sandwich between two pieces of Japanese bread. Please try it and taste it!
Ingredients (2 servings):
4 slice Japanese white bread
1/2 tsp Soy sauce
Rice oil, as needed
1 stick Kelp
1 Egg yolk
1 tsp Rice vinegar
2 tsp Japanese mustard
Salt & Pepper, as needed
120ml Canola oil
1. Put salt all over the tuna and keep it for minimum 30 minutes.
2. Put tuna in the pot and pour rice oil just to cover the tuna. Add a stick of kelp.
3. Heat the pot with low flame and cook the tuna for around 20 minutes until cooked.
4. Take out from the pot. Move in a bowl and mush it to make tuna flakes.
5. Put egg yolk, salt, white pepper, rice vinegar and mustard in a bowl. Then, mix together.
6. Add the oil little by little and stir them at the same speed.
7. Stir until it becomes heavy and creamy texture.
8. Add mayonnaise, soy sauce in a bowl of Tuna flakes and stir well.
9. Place extra mayonnaise over the white bread.
10. Add Tuna Mayo mixture and then another bread.
11. Cut the sandwich into 2 pieces. Done!
1. Keep cooking tuna with low heat for the softness.
2. Store the tuna in the remaining oil for a few days or use it in another dish.
3. Slowly pour the oil and stir at the same speed to make mayonnaise.
4. Recommend to put chopped lettuce in bread, if you want more veggies.
This recipe was first submitted in Jan 23rd, 2021 and resubmitted in Aug 27th, 2023 to reflect recipe revisions and additional photos.