Recipe : Okonomiyaki Sauce + Osaka-style Okonomiyaki
Okonomiyaki is a Japanese-style savory pancake cooked on a large hotplate. Okonomi means “As-you-like-it” and recipes differ depending on the region; traditionally Osaka and Hiroshima. In this recipe video, I will show you how to make Osaka-style Okonomiyaki recipe and its sauce which is the key ingredients of this Japanese-style savory pancake.
Ingredients (2 servings):
2 Tbsp Worcester sauce
1 Tbsp Ketchup
2 tsp Honey
1 tsp Soy sauce
1 tsp Mirin
1/2 tsp Oyster sauce
1/2 size Spring onion
2 Tbsp Plain flour
1/4 Cup (50ml) Water
2 Tbsp Tenkasu
1 Tbsp Dried shrimp
1. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
2. Pour it into a pot and heat the sauce with medium heat and warm until the bubbles come out.
3. Turn to the low heat and wait until it gets thickens.
1. Cut cabbage into small pieces. Chop the spring onion. Then, move to the bowl.
2. Add plain flour, egg, water, tenkasu and dried shrimp. Stir them all together.
3. Heat the frying pan and spread the canola oil. Pour the mixture and make round shape.
4. Put a lid and steam the pancake with medium heat for about 1 minute until the bottom gets brown color.
5. Take out the lid and flip the pancake. And stir-fry for 30 seconds. Move to the plate.
6. Put Okonomiyaki sauce over the pancake. Then, Mayonnaise, bonito flakes and green laver at the end.
1. Okonomiyaki sauce = Worcester sauce, Ketchup, Honey and Soy sauce!
2. Heat the sauce with low heat until the very end!
3. Veggies : Flour : Water = 2 : 1 : 1 + Egg!
4. Steam 1 minute with lid + Flip + Stir-fry 30 seconds without lid
More about this Japanese food:
This recipe was first submitted in Jan 7th, 2021 and resubmitted in Jul 13th, 2023 to reflect recipe revisions and additional photos.