Recipe : Tamagoyaki (Japanese Omelette/Egg Roll) with Mayonnaise
Tamagoyaki (Japanese Omelette/Egg Roll) is one of Japan’s unique egg dishes. Usually, tamagoyaki is a little sweet with sugar. In this recipe, however, the sweetness is reduced by adding homemade mayonnaise.
Ingredients (1 Egg roll):
1 Egg yolk
White pepper, to your taste
1 pinch of Salt
2 tsp(10ml) Rice vinegar
120ml Canola oil
1 Tbsp (15ml) Japanese Mayonnaise
1/2 Tbsp(7.5ml) Soy sauce
2 Tbsp(30ml) Mirin
Canola oil, as needed
1. Put egg yolk, salt, white pepper, rice vinegar and mustard in a bowl. Then, mix together.
2. Add the oil little by little and stir them at the same speed.
3. Stir until it becomes heavy and creamy texture.
4. Break the eggs into a bowl.
5. Add the Japanese mayonnaise, soy sauce and mirin to the same bowl and beat them by running chopsticks through the egg white.
6. Heat an omelet pan and add oil.
7. Add the egg mixture to the pan and spread evenly across the pan. Make the scrambled egg, then gather the egg to the front side of the pan.
8. Add oil again, then pour the egg mixture to the empty part of the pan to make a thin layer. When the egg is 80% cooked, roll up the omelet.
9. Repeat (6) to add two more layers.
10. Take out the first omelet from the pan. Then, cut and serve on a dish.
Related Video :
1. When making a mayonnaise, put a towel under the bowl.
2. If possible, make Tamagoyaki in a special frying pan.
3. Mix the egg liquid without foaming.
4. Pour the egg white first to make the center of the omelette.
5. Open the chopstickes like a spatula and roll omelette quickly!
About Tamagoyaki :
This recipe was first submitted in October 28th, 2020 and resubmitted in March 6th, 2023 to reflect recipe revisions and additional photos.