Recipe : Strawberry Sponge Cake
Strawberry sponge cake (so-called “shortcake”) is one of the most popular and classic desserts among Japanese sweets influenced by western culture. This cake is simple enough to be homemade at home and is a must for Christmas dinners and birthdays. The combination of the fluffy sponge cake texture and sweet whipped cream is very addictive.
Ingredients (15cm x 15cm whole cake):
60g Flour *Plain flour
200ml Fresh cream
3 Tbsp (45ml) Fruit syrup *Confiture is also ok!
1 pack Strawberry
1. Put flour into the bowl and shift.
2. Separate egg yolk and egg white into bowls.
3. Add sugar to the egg white separately into 3 times. Mix well to make a meringue.
4. Add egg yolk into the meringue. Lightly mix them.
5. Add flour and stir the mixture little by little until smooth.
6. Add butter and stir the mixture little by little until smooth.
7. Prepare a round shape cake pan. Pour the dough into the cake pan.
Move to the oven and bake for 28 minutes (600W).
8. Mix sugar with fresh cream until 60% set.
Take out 1/3 of whip cream and put in the fridge (to use later).
Mix rest of whip cream until 100% set.
9. Cut each strawberries into 4 slices.
10. After baking the cake, cool it down for a while.
Take out sponge cake from cake pan and slice the cake horizontally in half.
11. Spread the fruit jam on the surface and spread the whip cream.
Decorate strawberries on whip cream.
12. Pile up the other half of sponge cake. Put rest of cream and coat with cake.
Take 60% set whip cream from fridge and coat with cake. Decorate the cake with strawberries.