Recipe : Simmered Pumpkin (Kabocha no Nimono)
In this recipe video, I will introduce how to make Simmered Pumpkin called “Kabocha no Nimono”. This vegan Japanese food is a standard side dish eaten in Japanese homes and often appears in commercial lunch boxes. Pumpkins are hard and heavy and take a lot of time to cook, but if you process them properly, you can easily incorporate them into your daily cooking.
Ingredients (2 servings) :
1/2 size Pumpkin
1 Cup (200ml) Water
2 Tbsp Soy sauce
2 Tbsp Sake
2 Tbsp Mirin
4 Tbsp Sugar
1. Remove pumpkin seeds with a spoon.
2. Place pumpkin in a heatproof container, cover softly with plastic wrap, and microwave for 2 minutes.
3. Scrape off the skin. Then, cut into bite-sized pieces.
4. Place pumpkin, skin side down in a pot. Then, add other ingredients and bring to a boil with over medium heat.
5. Once boiled, cover with a fallen lid and simmer the pumpkin for 20 minutes with low heat.
6. Turn off the heat and turn the pumpkin over, skin side up. Wait a few minutes.
YUCa’s Tips :
1. Cover with the plastic wrap softly over the bowl before microwaving.
2. Leave a pumpkin skin a little to make it taste better.
3. Cut pumpkin into larger pieces so that the flavor will not be too sweet.
1. Are you looking for Japanese kitchenwares and cooking tools? Please visit our online store!
2. Would you like to cook many more recipes? Download Free recipe app from here! “Recipe by YJC”