Recipe : Red Bean Rice Onigiri
In this recipe video, I will show you how to make Sekihan Onigiri (Red Bean Rice Balls) and Harusame (Vermicelli) Salad. I also introduce Japanese breakfast set meal ideas.
Ingredients (4 servings):
Red Bean Rice Onigiri:
180ml Glutinous rice
1/4 Cup Adzuki red beans
Black sesame & Salt, as needed
4 sheet Nori seaweed
50g Harusame (Vermicelli) *dry
4 slice Ham
2 Tbsp Sugar
2 Tbsp Rice vinegar
2 Tbsp Soy sauce
2 Tbsp Sesame oil
1 tsp Chicken broth powder
1 tsp White sesame *toasted
Red Bean Rice Onigiri:
1. Lightly wash the Adzuki red beans.
2. Put the beans in a pot and pour in enough water to cover the beans.
3. Bring to a boil, and when the water is reduced by half, add more water and boil for another 5 minutes.
4. Once all the cooking water is discarded, add enough water to cover and bring to a boil again.
5. Cook the beans for 20 minutes, then separate the beans from the cooking water.
6. Add the beans to the washed rice. Then pour in the cooking water and water.
7. Cook the rice in a rice cooker. When the rice is done cooking, mix gently.
8. With using plastic cellophane, make 4 triangle shape onigiri.
9. Cover with nori seaweed.
1. Bring a pot of water to boil and boil the vermicelli. After boiling, drain the water and cut with scissors to make it easier to eat. Let it cool for a while.
2. Cut the cucumber and ham into strips.
3. Pour the beaten egg into the hot pan with the oil and spread it thinly, turning the pan.
4. When both sides are cooked, remove from the pan and roll up slowly when cool. Then, thinly slice the egg.
5. Mix the seasonings and prepare the salad sauce.
6. Add cucumber, ham and egg to the vermicelli and mix lightly. Then add the salad sauce little by little, mixing each time.
1. Do not add too much water when cooking the red bean and rice.
2. Use Aji-shio (seasoning with black sesame and salt) to add saltiness.
3. Cut the harusame (glass noodles) when serving to the kids.
4. If you are vegan/vegetarian, use other veggies as a substitution of ham.
About Onigiri :
1. Are you looking for Japanese kitchenwares and cooking tools? Please visit our online store!
2. Would you like to cook many more recipes? Download Free recipe app from here! “Recipe by YJC“