Recipe : Nikumaki Onigiri (Meat Wrapped Rice Balls), Cucumber Salad with Pickled Plum
In this recipe video, I will show you how to make Nikumaki Onigiri (Meat Wrapped Rice Balls) and Cucumber salad with pickled plum. This is one of my children’s favorite home cooking. Then, I also introduce Japanese food set meal ideas.
Ingredients (2 servings):
300g Japanese rice *steamed
1/2 stick Komatsuna *frozen
12 slices Pork loin *Thinly sliced
2 Tbsp Canola oil
2 Tbsp Water *Dashi is also OK!
1 Tbsp Sugar
1.5 Tbsp Soy sauce
0.5 Tbsp Mirin
0.5 tsp Ginger paste
Cucumber & Plum Salad:
2 Pickled plum
1 Tbsp Sesame oil
1/4 Tbsp Soy sauce
1 sheet Nori seaweed
Salt, as needed
1. Cut the frozen komatsuna into small pieces. Put in a container and microwave for a few minutes.
2. Drain excess water, and then add to steamed rice and mix well.
3. Make 6 rice balls.
4. Wrap the meat around all the rice balls. *Wrap 1 rice ball in two thin slices of pork loin. Roll the first one vertically and the second one horizontally.
5. Prepare a small bowl and mix all the seasonings to make sauce.
6. Place a frying pan on medium low heat. Then, pour the oil and place rice balls with the closure facing down.
7. Cover with a lid and let it steam for a while.
8. Roll the rice balls occasionally. When browned, turn to low.
9. Pour in the sauce and toss well with the rice balls, then turn off the heat.
Cucumber salad with pickled plum:
1. Sprinkle the salt over the cucumbers and roll them around to blend them in well.
2. Cut the cucumber into bite-sized pieces.
3. Remove the seeds from the dried plums and pound them with a knife to make a paste.
4. Prepare a small bowl and put cucumber and plum paste. Then, tear the nori seaweed into small pieces and add.
5. Pour sesame oil and soy sauce, and mix well.
1. Make your onigiri smaller, it’s easier to roll the sliced pork around!
2. Control the heat after pouring the sauce for Nikumaki onigiri.
3. If pickled plums with honey are hard to find, add honey to regular Umeboshi.
About Onigiri :
1. Are you looking for Japanese kitchenwares and cooking tools? Please visit our online store!
2. Would you like to cook many more recipes? Download Free recipe app from here! “Recipe by YJC“