Recipe : Okaka Onigiri (Bonito Flakes Rice Balls)
In this recipe video, I will show you how to make Onigiri (Japanese Rice Balls) and its filling Okaka (bonito flakes flavor filling). Japanese rice balls are normally triangle shape but oval shape and round shape are common as well. I will introduce how to form them. Enjoy!
Ingredients (2 rice balls):
200G (100G x 2) Japanese rice *steamed
1 Handful Bonito flakes
1/2 Tbsp Sesame oil
1/2 Tbsp Soy sauce
1 Tbsp White sesame seeds
Salt, as needed
Water, as needed
2 Sheets Nori seaweed
1. Heat the pot with medium heat and add bonito flakes. Toast it until it has fragrant aroma.
2. Put soy sauce and sesame oil, white sesame seeds in a pot. Mix well.
3. Prepare cooked rice, water and salt in separate bowls.
4. Wet your palms and put a certain amount of rice on the palm. Then, make a shallow hole in the middle.
5. Put the filling in a hole and add excess rice to cover it.
6. With using both hands, roll and form the onigiri to make triangle shape.
7. Put salt on the palm, put it on every sides of onigiri and cover with nori seaweed.
1. Make it smaller before toasting the bonito flakes.
2. Toast in a pan until bonito flakes has a fragrant aroma.
3. Use Japanese rice when making onigiri.
About Onigiri :