Recipe : Okonomiyaki Sauce (NEW)
The sauce determines the flavor of okonomiyaki. To make this recipe as close as possible to a commercial okonomiyaki sauce, we use Dashi, an essential ingredient in Japanese cooking, and dates in paste form. We also introduced oyster sauce and potato starch to thicken and intensify the flavor. You can buy commercially available okonomiyaki sauce, but why not try making your own from scratch using seasonings you already have at home? It will surely become a special okonomiyaki!
Ingredients (For 1 pancake):
4 Tbsp(60ml) Worcester sauce
2 Tbsp(30ml) Oyster sauce
2 Tbsp(30ml) Honey
2 Tbsp(30ml) Tomato Ketchup
2 Tbsp(30ml) Dates paste (*)
1 tsp(15ml) Soy sauce
(*) Dates paste
50ml Hot water
1 Tbsp(15ml) Dashi *soup stock
1 tsp Potato starch
1. Place dates in a heatproof container and pour in hot water. Then, cover and wait.
2. Remove the lid and blend in a food processor until a paste forms.
3. Prepare a pot and put all the ingredients (A) and lightly mix.
4. Heat the mixture with low to medium heat.
5. Gradually add the liquid Dashi mixed with potato starch. Heat until thickened.
1. Slowly stir the mixture and wait until it gets starchy.
Japanese Food Dictionary: