Simmered Hijiki Seaweed
In this recipe video, I will introduce how to make Hijiki Seaweed Salad called “Hijiki no Nimono”. This is a traditional Japanese side dish for Breakfast and Bento box.
Ingredients (2 servings) :
10g Long hijiki seaweed *dried
1/2 sheet Fried tofu
1 Chikuwa fish cake
1 Tbsp Canola oil
1/2 Cup Dashi
1 Tbsp Sugar
2 Tbsp Soy sauce
1 Tbsp Mirin
1. Put the dried Hijiki in a bowl and pour the hot water to rehydrate. Then, drain well.
2. Thinly slice the carrot and Chikuwa. Cut fried tofu and konnyaku into small pieces.
3. Heat the pot with medium flame and sautee the carrot and konnyaku with canola oil. When cooked, add chikuwa, deep-fried tofu and Hijiki seaweed. Lightly stir-fry all together.
4. Add soup stock and bring to a boil. Then, put sugar, soy sauce and mirin. Then, stir gently.
5. Cover with a drop-lid and simmer until all liquid is absorbed.
1. For vegetarian use shiitake mushrooms instead of chikuwa.
2. For children, cut long hijiki into bite-size pieces.
3. Freeze the rest or adding it to mixed rice or egg.