Recipe : Ehomaki with Meat (BBQ Sushi Roll)
There are various types of sushi rolls in Japan, from thin to thick. Among them, thick rolls filled with a variety of ingredients are called “ehomaki,” and are usually eaten on Setsubun in February. Instead of using raw fish, we’ll use Wagyu Japanese beef seasoned with Yakiniku sauce (Japanese BBQ sauce). And we will make two types sushi roll; one with nori seaweed and the other with thin egg omelette sheet.
Ingredients (2 sushi rolls) :
300g Japanese rice *steamed (10.6 onz)
1 Tbsp Sushi vinegar
1 Tbsp White sesame seeds
100g Wagyu Japanese beef (3.5 onz) *thinly sliced
1/4 Cup (50ml) Japanese BBQ sauce (1.7 onz)
1 Nori seaweed
1 Tbsp Water
1. Cut the thinly sliced beef into bite-sized pieces and marinate in BBQ sauce.
2. Cut carrots and cucumbers into thin sticks.
3. Heat a frying pan over medium heat and cook the beef until all the liquid is absorbed. Set aside.
4. Crack the eggs into a small bowl, add the water and mix well. (*See YUCa’s Tip : 1)
5. Heat a large frying pan over medium-low heat and add the canola oil. (*See YUCa’s Tip : 2)
6. Place a squeezed towel near the pan and remove excess oil from it.
7. Let the pan cool on the towel for a while.
8. Once the pan is back on the heat, pour in the egg mixture and spread it out at once.
9. Turn over quickly and wait for about 10 seconds. Then, turn off the heat.
10. Transfer the egg sheet to a cutting board and cut the edges to form a square.
11. Add the sushi vinegar and white sesame seeds to the rice and mix gently.
12. Place nori seaweed, rough side up, in a bamboo sheet and spread the sushi rice in the front half.
13. Place the ingredients in the center of the sushi rice. Then, roll up the sushi in a single motion, pushing the ingredients into the sushi.Wrap with cellophane and set aside. (*See YUCa’s Tip : 3)
14. Roll up the egg sheet in the same way.
15. Wet the knife lightly and cut into bite-size pieces.
(*Normally, it is eaten without cutting, but the size is your choice.)
1. Add a little salt to make egg whites smoother.
2. To make a thin egg sheet, prepare a large frying pan and lightly oil it.
3. Instead of using raw vegetables, use boiled vegetables.
This recipe was first submitted in Jan 22nd, 2022 and resubmitted in Aug 29th, 2023 to reflect recipe revisions and additional photos.