Recipe : Salmon Onigiri
Salmon onigiri is a classic rice ball that can always be found in Japanese convenience stores and supermarkets. It is very simple to make. Grilled salmon is cut into bite-size pieces and wrapped with warm rice. The secret to the delicious taste is to use just the right amount of salt and fresh nori seaweed. I also introduce rice balls made with finely crushed salmon for children.
Ingredients (4 servings) :
200g Japanese rice *steamed
2 Salmon fillet
White sesame seeds, as needed
Canola oil, as needed
Salt, as needed
4 sheets Nori seaweed
1. Wrap the 2 salmon fillets with aluminum and heat with medium flame until almost cooked. Then, flip and cook until brown color.
2. Take several chunks out of one cooked salmon.
3. Remove the bones and skin from the other salmon and break into small pieces to make flakes.
4. Prepare cooked rice, water, salt, white sesame and nori seaweed before shaping onigiri.
5. (Salmon chunks onigiri)Wet your palms and put a certain amount of rice on the palm. Then, make a shallow hole in the middle and put some salmon chunks in it.
6. Add more rice to cover the salmon chunks. Roll and form the onigiri to make triangle shape.
7. Put some salt on the palm, put it on every sides of onigiri and cover with nori seaweed.
8. (Salmon flakes onigiri) Put Japanese rice and salmon flakes in a bowl and mix well.
9. Wet your palms and put a certain amount of rice on the palm. Form the onigiri to make oval shape.
10. Roll the nori seaweed over the onigiri.
1. Prepare the salted salmon in advance with 8% salt by weight.
2. Take out the fish bones after grilling.
About Onigiri :
This recipe was first submitted in Apr 3rd, 2021 and resubmitted in Sep 28th, 2023 to reflect recipe revisions and additional photos.