Dashi (Japanese Soup Stock) *Updated version
Dashi (だし) is the most important soup/broth to create the authentic Japanese palate. Umami-rich ingredients like kelp (Kombu), Bonito flakes, and dried sardines are all key ingredients of dashi. This time, I introduce the dashi with kelp and bonito flakes.
10g Dried kelp
10g Dried bonito flakes
1. Wipe the surface of kelp gently with using clean cloth.
*This is to remove the impurities. Don’t wash the Kelp since the flavor will be lost.
2. Make several incisions with scissors.
3. Pour water into the pot, add kombu, and bring to medium heat. Just before boiling, remove the kombu.
4. Add the bonito flakes and let it to a boil for a few minutes.
5. Prepare the bowl with strainer and kitchen paper, then strain the liquid.
YUCa’s Tips :
1. Wipe the surface of the kelp well. Never wash it because the flavor will be washed away.
2. Take out the kelp before it boils. This will reduce the miscellaneous taste.
3. Recommend to use tea bag or kitchen paper instead of using strainer.