Recipe : Dango (Kushi Dango)
Dango (団子) is a Japanese dumpling made from rice flour mixed with uruchi rice flour and glutinous rice flour. Dango is usually finished round shaped, three to five dango are often served on a skewer (skewered dango pieces called kushi-dango (串団子).
In this recipe, I make three kinds dango; Mitarashi dango, Yomogi dango and An-dango. Mitarashi dango are coated with a sauce made with soy sauce, sugar and potato starch. Yomogi dango are made of aromatic herb yomogi mixed in the dough and has beautiful green color. An-dango are made of plain dango with red bean paste on top.
Ingredients (8 sticks):
1 Cup (200ml) Water
1g Yomogi powder
2 Tbsp (30ml) Soy sauce
1 Tbsp (15ml) Potato starch
1 Tbsp (15ml) Water
1. Separate shiratamako into two portions. Add Yomogi powder in one bowl.
2. Pour water in shiratamako and knead until it becomes same texture as ear robe. Make small balls.
3. Pour water and knead the mochi with yomogi powder. Make small balls.
4. (Mitarashi sauce) Add sugar, soy sauce, potato starch and water in a bowl. Mix well. Then, microwave for 50 seconds (600W).
5. Put mochi in a boiling water for 2 minutes. Take out mochi and put in a cold water.
6. Put yomogi mochi in a boiling water for 2 minutes. Take out mochi and put in a cold water.
7. Make dango with using skewer. Do the same to make yomogi dango.
8. Put mitarashi sauce on each dango. Then, put anko (red bean paste) on each dango.
Related video :
Related products :
This recipe was first submitted in January 22nd, 2020 and resubmitted in March 18th, 2023 to reflect recipe revisions and additional photos.