Recipe : Chirashizushi (Chirashi Sushi)
The 3rd of March is the traditional and representative spring event day called “Hinamatsuri” in Japan. In this video, I introduce how to make 2 kinds Chirashizushi (Scattered sushi). One for adults with using fresh seafoods and the other for kids with using cooked ingredients. How about making these seasonal sushi and celebrating Japanese Hinamatsuri at your home?
Ingredients (4 servings):
50g Salmon roe
25g Lotus root
1.5 Cup Japanese rice
1.5 Cup Water
1 Dried Kelp
2 Tbsp Rice vinegar
1 Tbsp Sugar
1-2 Pinch Salt
Mixture for sushi rice:
1/2 Carrot *small size
25g Lotus root
2 Shiitake mushroom
1 sheet Fried tofu
1 Cup (200ml) Dashi soup stock
1 Tbsp Soy sauce
1/2 Tbsp Sugar
1/2 Tbsp Sake & Mirin
1/2 tsp Salt
3 Tbsp Canola oil
1 pinch Salt
1. Wash and rinse the rice in a pot. Add the kelp and pour water. Put the lid, then start to boil the rice with medium high heat and steam for 10 minutes with low heat. Then, turn off the heat and wait another 10 minutes.
2. Thinly slice some pieces of carrot and hollow out into a flower shape. Cut the rest of the carrot into small pieces.
3. Pour hot water over the fried tofu and drain well. Then, cut into small pieces.
4. Squeeze the rehydrated shiitake mushrooms very well and cut into small pieces. *Keep the leftover soup aside.
5. Cut half of the lotus root into small pieces. Curve some parts and thinly slice the rest half.
6. Cut off the stems of sayaendo. Cut half of the amount in half. Cut the rest half into small sizes.
7. Prepare a water in a pot. Put the carrot and start to heat. Then add lotus root when it starts to boil. At last, add sayaendo and boil for 1 minute. Take out all the vegetables from the pot.
8. Prepare the shrimp and pour sake to cleanse its smell. Then, boil them for 5 minutes until it gets red color. Cut 3 shrimps into half and 2 shrimps into bite-size pieces.
9. Cut the salmon and tuna into bite size pieces. For Kids version, cook them and season with soy sauce if needed.
10. Pour the oil in a pot and stir-fry chopped veggies. When it’s cooked, add all the seasonings and simmer with fallen lid until the juice evaporated.
11. Break two eggs into the bowl, add salt and sake and beat it. Heat an omelet pan and add oil. Pour half the egg mixture into a pan and make a big sheet. When it cooks, turn over and lightly heat and move to the cutting board. Repeat with using the other half. Roll up the omelette sheets and thinly slice.
12. Put rice vinegar, sugar and salt in a small bowl and mix well. Heat the mixture until sugar melts. Gently pour the mixture over the steamed rice and mix like cutting the rice. Then, add the simmered veggies from (9).
13. Prepare the container, then put mixed sushi rice on the bottom. Then, decorate with all the toppings.
1. Mix the vinegared rice like cutting it. Image to put the air in it.
2. Recommend to cut Japanese omelette into small pieces
3. For children under 3 years old, cook the fish very well.