Chawanmushi (Steamed Egg Custard)
In this recipe video, I will show you how to make Chawanmushi (Steamed Eggs Custard). This is very delicate savory egg pudding with lots of fillings. There are several tips that I want to share! Enjoy the video at the end and please try it out!!!
Ingredients (4 servings):
4 Slices Kamaboko
4 Stick Mitsuba trefoil
40g Chicken breast
8 pieces Gingko nuts
¾ Cup (150ml) Dashi soup stock
½ tsp (2.5ml) Sake
½ tsp (2.5ml) Mirin
½ tsp (2.5ml) Soy sauce
Pinch of Salt
*Recipe for Dashi soup stock
1 Cups (200ml) Water
1 Shiitake mushroom
2 Handful of Bonito flakes
0. Soak the kelp and shiitake mushroom in a water for 3 hours before cooking. Marinate chicken with sake.
1. Heat the soup with kelp and shiitake mushroom just before boiling. Then, take out both of them and add bonito flakes.
After a few minutes, strain them. Cool the Dashi to room temperature.
2. Separate the Mitsuba trefoil and its stalk. Cut stalk into 3cm lengths.
3. Slice the shiitake mushroom and kamaboko into bite-size pieces.
4. Beat the eggs and pour Dashi into the beaten egg. Then, strain the egg mixture with strainer.
5. Add sake, mirin, soy sauce and salt in the egg mixture.
6. Prepare the heat-resistant container and put all the prepared ingredients except Mitsuba trefoil leaves.
7. Prepare the water to boil. Then, place the containers in the steamer and cook over medium low heat for 10 minutes.
(*Poke with a bamboo skewer and check the clear broth rises up.)
8. Garnish with Mitsuba trefoil leaves and cook another 1 minute.
9. Carefully move to the tray (because it’s hot!). Enjoy!