Japanese Curry Roux
Ingredients (4 to 6 servings):
½ Onion -chopped
1 Tbsp (15ml) Garlic -grated
1 Tbsp (15ml) Curry powder
Pinch of Salt & Pepper
3 Tbsp (45ml) Worcester sauce – semi-thick
1 Tbsp (15ml) Ketchup – Fresh tomato is also OK!
1 Tbsp (15ml) Milk
1 Tbsp (15ml) Honey
1 Tbsp (15ml) Soy sauce
1 Tbsp (15ml) Chutney
To sweet —- Apple (grated)
To hot ——- Cayenne pepper
1. Chop the onion into small pieces.
2. Heat the butter in a pot and melt all of it. Then, add onion and garlic to stir-fry until turning brown color.
3. Add the flour and stir consistently with the low heat.
4. When the mixture becomes dry, turn the heat to medium high and stir it quickly.
*The mixture becomes moisture again.
5. Once the mixture gets brown color, add the curry powder and stir roughly.
6. Turn the heat to low. Then, add all the ingredients (A) and season with salt and pepper.