Japanese Set Meal Idea : Vol.3
In this recipe video, I will show you how to make a Japanese set meal. What makes this video unique is that with just a few additions of seasonings, the whole family (babies around 1 year old and up) can eat together. Specifically, we make ”Okonomiyaki” and ”Kabocha no Itokoni” (Simmered pumpkin with Adzuki beans). And finally, I made a set meal with miso soup.
Ingredients (2 servings) :
Simmered pumpkin with Adzuki beans:
100g Kabocha pumpkin *Cut into 4 pieces
20g Adzuki beans
1/2 tsp Soy sauce
1/4 Tbsp Sugar
Water, as needed
2 leaves Cabbage
50g Ground pork
1/2 Cup Water
50g Plain flour
1 Shiitake mushroom
1 Thin green onion *cut
1/2 Tbsp Mayonnaise
1/2 Tbsp Ketchup
1 tsp Semi-thick worcester sauce
Kabocha no Itokoni :
1. Place azuki beans in a pot and pour in enough water to cover the beans.
2. Boil over medium heat, adding more water along the way, until the beans are firm enough to be crushed with fingers. Turn off the heat.
3. Add pumpkin, sugar and soy sauce, cover with a drop-lid and cook until pumpkin is tender.
4. Separate for children.
5. Add soy sauce and season to taste for adults.
1. Microwave ground pork for 1 minute.
2. Core and chop the cabbage.
3. Cut away the hard tip of the shiitake mushroom and mince the shaft and umbrella part.
4. In a bowl, mix the eggs, water, and flour.
5. Add the chopped vegetables to the batter.
6. Break up the ground pork and add to the batter, mixing well.
7. Heat a frying pan over medium heat and add canola oil.
8. Pour in the batter and turn over when the bottom is browned.
9. When both sides are browned, remove the dough to a child’s plate.
10. Add spring onion and cook a slightly larger okonomiyaki for the adults in the same way.
11. Mix mayonnaise and ketchup and put half of the mixture on the okonomiyaki for the children.
12. Add the semi-thick worcester sauce to the leftover mixture, mix well, and place on the okonomiyaki for the adults.
Related Video :
YUCa’s Tips :
1. Cut foods as small as possible for small children.
2. Commercial Okonomiyaki sauce is also good with this pancake.
3. You can also use ready-made grainy sweetened red bean paste called Tsubu-an.
Note : This recipe was first submitted in July 9, 2022 and resubmitted in May 9, 2023 to reflect recipe revisions and additional photos.