Recipe : Zunda Mochi (Mochi with Edamame sauce)
Zundamochi (ずんだ餅) is a typical Japanese confectionery of Yamagata and Miyagi prefectures. It is a dumpling made by mashing boiled edamame (soybeans) and topping it with edamame-an (sweet red bean paste) with sugar. The balance between the sweetness of the edamame-an and the dumplings mixed with tofu makes it an addictive dish.
Ingredients (6 pieces):
40g Shiratama powder *glutinous rice flour
40 Edamame beans
1 Tbsp (15ml) Sugar
½ Tbsp (7.5ml) Soymilk
1. Heat the water to boil. Then, put Edamame in a pot and boil for 3 minutes.
2. Take out Edamame to the strainer. Lightly wash and drain it.
3. Take out beans from each sheath and put in a bowl. Then, put the beans into the food processor and make it small.
4. Put the paste back in a bowl and sprinkle sugar over the paste. Then, add soy milk and mix all together.
5. Put the shiratama powder in a bowl. Then, add tofu and knead the dough with fingers.
Make 6 balls.
*Knead until the dough becomes same softness as your earlobe.
6. Heat the water to boil again. Put all Mochi into the boiling water and wait until all Mochi start floating. Then, wait another 1 minute.
7. Take out all Mochi from the pot and put them into the water to cool. When all Mochi get cool down, drain and serve on a plate.
1. Are you looking for Japanese kitchenwares and cooking tools? Please visit our online store!
2. Would you like to cook many more recipes? Download Free recipe app from here! “Recipe by YJC“