Recipe : Kayaku Mixed Rice (Takikomi Gohan) Onigiri
Kayaku means to add various nutritious ingredients. Takikomi Gohan is a genre of cooking rice and it means to steam and mix rice with various ingredients like veggies, seafood and meat. The umami flavor from shiitake mushroom leftover water and other soup make this dish so flavorful and comfort. Please also don’t forget to check simple Japanese breakfast ideas!
Ingredients (4 servings) :
1/4 Cup (50ml) Water
2 Shiitake mushroom *soak in a water
1/4 size Carrot
1/4 size Burdock
1/2 slice Deep-fried tofu
1/8 block Konnyaku
1 Cup Japanese rice
A pinch of Salt
1/2 Tbsp Soy sauce
1 Cup (200ml) Mixture of Leftover soup + Water
4 Sheet Nori seaweed
1 Tbsp Soy sauce
1 Tbsp Mirin
1/2 Tbsp Sake
1 tsp Sugar
1. (Preparation) Soak the dried shiitake mushrooms in a water.
2. Peel the carrot and burdock.
3. Cut all the ingredients into small pieces.
4. Prepare a pot and put leftover water from dried shiitake mushrooms and all the seasonings. Lightly stir and then bring to a boil.
5. Bring to medium heat and add chopped veggies and tofu. Cover with fallen lid (Otoshibuta) and simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Separate simmered ingredients and leftover liquid in each bowls.
7. Wash the rice and put it in a rice cooker. Pour leftover liquid and water to the appropriate level, then steam the rice.
8. Prepare the cellophane wrap and put Kayaku mixed rice on it.
9. Form the mixed rice to make triangle shape and wrap with nori seaweed.
YUCa’s Tip :
1. Recommend to cut every ingredients into small pieces.
2. Keep the leftover soup/water from dried shiitake mushrooms.
About Onigiri :