Taiyaki | Fish shape waffle
Do you know this fish shape waffle? This is called Taiyaki (鯛焼き). “Tai (鯛)” means a carp and “Yaki (焼き)” means stir-fry or bake in Japanese. To make this shape, you need to buy special waffle machine. You can buy online or electric stores here in Japan to make at home or you can find Taiyaki shops at many places here in Japan. Usually, Taiyaki has red bean paste inside but some shops sell custard cream, matcha cream, sweet potato paste, Chocolate cream, Sesame cream etc. In this recipe, I introduce the traditional Taiyaki which has red bean paste inside. Enjoy!
Ingredients (about 10 pieces):
2 tsp Baking soda
1 Tbsp Sugar
Pinch of Salt
Red bean paste, as needed
1. Mix flour, baking soda, sugar and salt in a bowl.
2. Mix water and milk in another bowl.
3. Pour the mixture (2) in a bowl (1) little by little and mix well.
4. Move the dough to the fridge and cool it down for about 1 hour.
5. Pour the dough into the hot poison plate. Put the red bean paste on top, pour additional dough on top and close the cover.
6. After about 5 minutes, take out the Taiyaki from the plate.