Recipe : Ozoni (Japanese New Year’s Soup with Mochi)
In this recipe video, I will introduce how to make Ozoni, a Japanese New Year’s Soup with Mochi. In Japan, people enjoy this seasonal soup on New Year’s time. There are 2 types; Kanto-style (Tokyo area) and Kansai-style (Kyoto area). Tokyo style has soy sauce based soup with chicken and mochi, mainly. Kyoto style has white miso based soup with yam and mochi. This time, we will make Tokyo style. How about making this special soup and feel the Japanese version new year?
Ingredients (2 servings) :
6 slice Daikon radish
6 piece Carrot
2 Shiitake mushroom
6 slice Kamaboko *fish cake
Yuzu peel, as needed
1 bundle (60g) Komatsuna
2.5 Cup (500ml) Dashi *soup stock
50g Chicken thigh
1 tsp (5ml) Soy sauce
1/2 tsp Salt
4 block Rice cake
1. Cut daikon radishes into bite-sized pieces. Slice and mold the carrots. Make an incision in the surface of the shiitake mushrooms. Thinly slice the kamaboko. Use the tip of the knife and peel off the yuzu cotton. Then, slice the peel thinly.
2. Prepare a pot of water and start boiling the komatsuna from the stems.
3. After that, boil the leaves. Add a pinch of salt, then put carrot and daikon radish.
4. Take out the komatsuna from the pot and cool in water. Squeeze it well and cut into small sizes. Take out the carrot and daikon from the pot.
5. Prepare the pot and pour the Dashi. Place over medium heat and add soy sauce, salt, and chicken.
6. When the chicken is cooked, add shiitake mushrooms, fish cake, carrots, and daikon.
7. Place the baked rice cake in a bowl and top with the ingredients. Place the yuzu peel on top.
8. Finally, pour in the soup.
YUCa’s Tips :
1. Start boiling daikon and carrot with Komatsuna.
2. Add a small amout of sake into the soup for deeper flavor.
3. When baking rice cakes in a toaster, be careful not to burn them.
–Harekutani Cat Chopstick Rest Set
(*If you purchase the product from this link, you can get 5% off. Please take this opportunity!)