Ohitashi | Blanched vegetables with Dashi
This time, I will show you how to make Ohitashi (Blanced vegetables with Dashi). This is a side dish of Japanese cuisine. We usually use vegetables and tofu for this dish. You can only use one ingredient to make this. This is really delicate side dish since it is seasoned with only Dashi and drops of soy sauce and mirin. By the way, Dashi soup stock contains bonito flakes so you can omit this ingredients to make vegan version dashi soup stock. This dish would be one of the Japanese vegan side dishes. The tip for this dish is to blanch the vegetables for a quick moment to keep the fresh texture. (So, don’t boil too long!) This dish is perfect to be served in normal or cold temperature. Enjoy!
Ingredients (2 servings):
1 sheet Fried tofu *Thinly sliced
50g Shimeji mushrooms
1 Cup (200ml) Dashi soup stock
1 Tbsp (15ml) Sugar
2 Tbsp (30ml) Mirin
1 tsp (5ml) Soy sauce
Pinch of Salt
1. Cut the Mizuna and Mitsuba into small portions.
2. Prepare hot water and pour it over the fried tofu to remove excess oil. When it gets normal temperature, drain and squeeze tofu.
3. Boil mitsuba for a quick moment and take it out.
4. Add the ingredients (A) in a pan and bring to a boil. Then, add tofu and shimeji mushrooms to a boil again.
5. Add mizuna and mitsuba. Quickly boil them for about 30 seconds and turn off the heat.
6. Serve on a dish.