Kabocha Pumpkin Tempura
In this recipe video, I will show you how to make Kabocha Tempura (Deep Fried pumpkin). Tempura is one of the traditional Japanese dishes along with sushi, and it is also a magical dish that can be used at home to get children to eat vegetables in no time at all. There are several tips to make crispy tempura so please take a look at this tutorial and try it out!
Ingredients (20 pieces):
1/4 size Kabocha Pumpkin
1 Egg yolk
1/2 Cup+1 Tbsp Water
1/2 Cup (90g) Plain flour
1. Remove seeds from pumpkin and slice a little thicker.
2. Put the chilled flour in a bowl and add the egg yolk. Then, pour the water and mix well.
3. Lightly coat the surface of the pumpkin with potato starch.
4. Pour oil into a pot and heat over medium heat.
5. When the oil is heated, add 2 or 3 pieces at a time.
(*If you want more batter, add more tempura liquid little by little with chopsticks.)
6. After about 30 seconds, flip over.
7. Once cooked, remove from pot and drain oil.
8. Thereafter, remove all the Tenkasu (Tempura bits) from the pan each time before frying the next batch.
YUCa’s Tips :
1. It is best to chill the water and flour well, and sift the flour.
2. Deep-fry two or three pieces at a time and drain the oil immediately.