Recipe : Satsuki’s Bento from My Neighbor Totoro
In this recipe video, I will show you how to make Satsuki’s Bento from the Japanese movie “My Neighbor Totoro” produced by Studio Ghibli. In this movie, an elementary student Satsuki makes Bento for her sister and father while her mother being hospitalized. During this video, I will also show you how to prepare Japanese rice with using earthenware pot called “Donabe(土鍋)”. Hope you like this video and watch the movie “My Neighbor Totoro” with this bento!
Ingredients (1 serving):
1 Cup Japanese rice
1 Fillet Sardine
30g Green pea
2 Tbsp Denbu
1 Pickled plum
1. (Grilled sardine) Prepare the pan and put the sardine. Heat the pan with medium heat. Grill both sides.
2. (Boiled peas) Prepare the hot water and put beans. Add sugar and boil for 5 minutes.
3. (Steamed Rice) Put the rice in a pot. Add water and quickly throw away the water. Stir hard to imagine like making a scratch on the surface of each rice. Throw away the milky color starch. Repeat one more time. Pour water, put the lid and start to boil the rice with medium high heat. When the steam comes out, turn to the low heat and continue cooking for 15 minutes. Then, turn off the heat and wait another 10 minutes. Once it’s finished, carefully open the lid and lightly stir the rice to add air in a rice.
4. Prepare Bento box and put rice on the bottom. Then, put sardine, denbu, green peas and pickled plum.
1. Use cod fish flakes and color in pink as a substitution of Denbu.
2. To keep the plump surface, don’t boil the peas for long time.
3. Prepare the Japanese rice that is short grain.