Kakitama-Jiru (Japanese Egg Drop Soup)
In this recipe video, I will introduce how to make Japanese Egg Drop Soup called “Kakitama-Jiru”. In addition to tofu, we will also add onion and broccoli to add nutritions. This is also a perfect soup for babies around 9 to 12 months old so I’ll show you how to eat it in a way that both children and adults can enjoy by simply changing the seasonings.
Ingredients (2 to 3 servings) :
1/4 size Onion
1 block Tofu
1 piece Broccoli *Boiled and chopped
1/4 Tbsp Chicken stock powder
1/2 Tbsp Sesame oil
1/2 Tbsp Soy sauce
1/2 Tbsp Potato starch
1 Tbsp Water
1. Cut tofu into bite-size pieces.
2. Chop onion into pieces.
3. Heat a pot over medium heat and pour water until the chopped onion is covered. Sautee the onion to be soften.
4. Pour in additional water and add chicken broth and broccoli.
5. Add beaten egg, wait 5 seconds and stir slowly.
6. Add potato starch dissolved in water and stir to thicken.
7. Finally, add the tofu and stir gently.
YUCa’s Tips :
1. Sautee the onion in water to reduce oil during cooking.
2. Wait for 5 seconds and slowly stir to make fluffy egg.
3. Add tofu at the very end.