Mackerel simmered in miso
Ingredients (2 servings):
1 Mackerel fillet
150ml Dashi *Dried kelp soak in a water
2 Tbsp Sake
2 Tbsp Mirin
2 Tbsp Sugar
2 Tbsp Miso
1. Cut the mackerel in half and score a cross on the surface of the skin. Chop the ginger.
2. Pour Dashi, sake and Mirin in a frying pan and turn on the heat.
When it starts to boil, place the mackerel skin-side up.
3. When the edges of the mackerel start getting white, add the ginger.
*The ginger will interact with the heated protein and remove the fishy smell.
4. When it boils again, turn the heat down to low and remove the scum.
Add the sugar, put a drop lid on it and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Add Miso by blending it with some of the stewing liquid.
Occasionally scoop the liquid and pour it over the fish.
Simmer for 5 minutes.
6. When the liquid reduces, take out the drop lid and serve on a dish.
Are you looking for Japanese kitchenwares and cooking tools? Please visit our online store!